Thursday, March 31, 2011

Slow Starting Thursday


Today DID NOT start out how I thought it would. I woke up at 5:30am, did my bible study (I'm in Hebrews), made my bed, and headed out to the garage/gym to get my workout in. As I walked through the kitchen to get to the garage in the dark of morning, I stopped in my tracks.

Teenagers had struck.

The kitchen and living room looked like the troops had stormed in, did as much damage as they could, and rushed out just as fast as they'd come. Sink overflowing with dirty dishes, dishwasher full of clean dishes, stove top slopped with cheese, the rice cooker out, and full of quinoa that had big scoops out of it and the rest burnt to the bottom of the cooker, cups of water, empty and partially empty bowls, water bottles, used napkins, leftover dinner containers emptied and sitting out. You get the idea. There was NO WAY I was heading to the garage to workout only to start my day with a filthy kitchen.

So as I went to work in that mess I mumbled to myself, grumbled out loud to no one in particular, and wondered how in the world they could NOT get that the kitchen shouldnt be slaughtered like that and left to greet me in the morning. It was a good thing it was early and they wouldnt get out to the kitchen for a bit cuz I was fit to be tied.

By the time I wiped the counters clean and started the emptied-then-refilled dishwasher, the first of the teens came out. I had some words to say, but by then my tone was MUCH calmer than it would have been about 40 minutes earlier, and I got my point across in no uncertain terms. I got hugs and apologies and they got my message loud and clear.

So that was my morning. I mopped the kitchen and cleaned the entry bathroom and am so thankful for fit club tonight so I can get my workout in after all. But my point is that sometimes the morning starts out slapping you down - whether its a disastrous kitchen, or a botched deadline at work, or a mountain of paperwork, or bad news, or _________ (you fill in the blank), and its up to us to roll with it and not let it throw off the whole day.

Today is still not over yet, but its not been bad after all. I've had a GREAT conversation with my Success Partner and dear friend Doug Fitzgerald, followed by another good call with fellow Beachbody Coach and friend Perry Tinsley, and my sweet assistant Brittany brought me my favorite coffee. :)

And my kitchen was clean. :) At least for the 6 hours the kids were at school. :)

1 comment:

Ella said...

I'm so glad it isn't just my kids who pull these sorts of stunts! Good for you for getting calmer before you dealt with the issue!!