Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Plugging Your Fitness into SPORT

One of the topics Tony speaks about in his 11 Laws of Health and Fitness is the law of SPORT. :) This is one of my favorite Laws, because its SO REAL and applicable.

When I was a kid, I played soccer, took gymnastics lessons, tried 8th grade basketball (I played center..... :) KIDDING), ran track, and was a cheerleader. (Please dont hold the latter against me :)) As a people person even back then, playing sports was about connecting with other people while we played. :)

Why is it when we step to adulthood, we lose that spirit? I dont ever want to stop "playing"; running, laughing, high fiving, cheering one another on, feeling ALIVE! :) It gets the endorphins pumping, and keeps my mind light and cheerful. Who wouldnt want to keep that part of life active? But the reality is, we lose it. We get married (or not), get immersed into our careers, get busy paying the bills and taking care of our house, coaching our kids' teams, etc. etc. The list goes on. We've somewhere along the line resigned ourselves to "Thats the way it is". I challenge you to think outside the box. When I was a kid, my dad was a runner and my mom jogged, or did a tv workout with Jack La Lanne or whoever was leading the television aerobics class, or worked out using this funny contraption that fit around the handle of a closed door. That's what was available and she did what it took to stay fit and healthy. Today, there are so many fun adult activities to get involved with: adult soccer, softball, bowling, dodgeball, rock wall climbing, adult tennis teams, all sorts of dancing classes, ...... There are so many places to plug your love of sport in to - its just a matter of choosing which one first. :)

Unfortunately, thats not what happens. Sadly, its still such a new thought that most adults dont even realize that its FOR THEM (read: FOR YOU!) to try. They tend to think its for those other people. The cool thing about Beachbody Programs is that it gets your body moving, flexible, agile, fit, shed of the unwanted pounds that crept on there, and ready to PLAY. :) The hard part is stepping out of old patterns and habits and starting something new.
Life is too short (wasnt that the theme of a post last month?) to not HAVE FUN! :) If there's something you've always wanted to try or play, or pick back up again - why not look into it today? We are a country who watches shows like American Idol, and So You Think You Can Dance, and Top Model, and Survivor and see these people living their dreams and trying new things. Why not go after your own? :) And grab a friend and ask them to join you!! (everything's more fun with a friend!)

Your "action step" after reading this blog is to leave me a comment. :) Tell me (and anyone else reading this) what it is you're going to try or have wanted to try. Sometimes just saying it gives you the accountability to follow through.

Here's mine: I'm finally signing up to do my Marathon. I told myself when I was in my 20's that I was going to do the LA Marathon before I turned 40. Well, the clock is ticking. :) I will be 40 in May of 2010, so why wait till the last minute, as is typical with me? :) The last time I started to train I blew out my knee....so this time I'm going to train slower, giving myself lots more time to do it well. Or at least finish. lol




WHATS YOURS? :)


6 comments:

Kathy W said...

Hey! So what's wrong with being a cheerleader??? ;-)
I need to think seriously about what my next endeavor will be, but I will tell you that I KNOW there will be one. I've been on a bit of a hiatus lately due to an overloaded performance schedule. But I can FEEL the negative differences in my body and soul from being away from regular exercise. I'm not getting fat, I'm just feeling sluggish and old and stressed! I'm gearing up to get back into a healthy lifestyle. Thanks Traci!!

Lori Jantzi said...

Hi Traci! I've given a lot of thought about this subject over the years, in particular over the past couple of months. I, like many people, always thought of "sport" as being on a team. I used to think, I'm not interested in sports, never have, never will. But the more I hear about "sport" the more I realize that it doesn't have to mean being on a team. It can be an individual sport. Like cycling, running, gymnastics, jump rope, swimming, etc.

When I was a young girl, I was always outside playing with my best friend, Gail Saunders. We would ride bikes all over the neighborhood, jump rope, chinese jumping, walk the whole distance along the top of the school fence (until she fell off one day and broke her arm), we would do all kinds of gymnastics all over the front yard, go swimming, climb the monkey bars at the playground, climb trees, etc. etc. Then when I was finishing up Grade 6, my family and I moved across the country. It was during those years of living in our new city that I no longer was active. My "new" friends didn't like doing those things. They would laugh at me for wanting to do "baby" stuff. I was so desperate for friendships at that age that I went along with the crowd and did the boring stuff they wanted to do. Hang out and talk about boys (ew) and listen to music. (ho hum). What I didn't realize at the time was that as my body was changing into womanhood, I was losing my flexibility. Once I got into high school and realized they had a gymnastics program, I was thrilled! Finally I could do this again. But my body failed me. I could no longer do what I once did. Long story/short, I was brokenhearted and gave up. Never tried again. I secretly blamed my parents for bringing me to this God forsaken place. I still hurt from those years, but I don't blame my parents for it. I look on those years as a blessing in many ways.

Anyways, this past summer I attempted a cartwheel in my backyard. I did it! Probably the best one ever done by me EVER! So I tried two more and did it! Then I didn't want to press my luck and I was feeling it in my shoulders. Well that just stirred up the little girl within me and I've wanted to do more. I now realize that anything is possible with practice and I intend to work on my flexibility more and more. Tony Horton has really inspired me to become more flexible. (If he can do it later in age, so can I, right?)

I've tried to find some beginner adult gymnastic classes, but there are none here.

So, I'll do what I can, on my own! My goal is to do some handstands, more cartwheels, and ultimately (God willing) a walkover (or at least that's what we called them). I'll start off trying to accomplish "the wheel" first.

This is one of those "I don't want to live with any regrets" parts of my life. To regain a part of my early gymnastics ability would be fantastic!

The other sport I intend on "plugging in" is cycling long distances. Actually my family is going to attempt to bike from our town to the next town. Not sure how many KM it is but it's about a 13 min. car ride.

I know this was a long, long, long post, but it was very therapeutic for me too.

Thanks, Traci! You're the best! :)

Lori :)

Traci Morrow said...

KATHY!! :) I'm so glad you're BACK! :) Well, you and I know there's nothing wrong with COOL cheerleaders from the 80's, but not everyone gets how RAD we really were! ;) Love seeing you here! :) xo

LORI: I LOVE that story! Thanks for the window into a part of what was a part of the little girl Lori. :) Tony is the same way about gymnastics, and I have to say that I'd wished I'd hung with it longer. Thats why so much of his weekly beach workout is gymnastics - that and the fact that Mitch and Chuck Gaylord help up the ante to their gymnastics portion of the workout. :)
GOOD FOR YOU to practice your cartwheels and work to back handsprings - just be sure to have Rodney spot you. ;)

SO WHO ELSE????? C'mon - PLAY with us! :)

Traci Morrow said...

...a part of a part of.....?

Sheesh! I really need to proof read before I post.

:)~

KellyC said...

I'm not into team sports, never have been, but my sister-in-law and I are taking an Adult Beginner Tap class at the dance studio where her daughter takes lessons.

It's quite ridiculous. Love it!

Traci Morrow said...

Kelly: Thats EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!! :) I love that!!!! :) I cant wait to hear about it - talk about a little girl dream coming to be! Let us know how it goes....you're so cool. :)
xo