Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Glancing Back - Looking Forward....

Life is busy and time is short, I will be the first to acknowledge that.

But as I look at some of our recent family photos from the summer, I am reminded of just how short time really is. The small snippet of time that is my childrens childhood is the same period of time where I grew from a young, inexperienced mom, to an older, seasoned mom of budding adults. For my older kids, I am in that final phase of helping them "become" who God made them to be, and letting them "fail forward" a little within the safety of family and parents, where we can tweak and adjust things that we taught that they may not have fully learned.

Being a parent is not a sissy job; it takes effort, PRAYER, thought, PRAYER, guidance from mentor parents, PRAYER, reading books, and developing each child as the individual, incredible creations they are. Did I mention prayer? ;o) I have good kids, but they are not cookie cutter kids. They all react differently, think differently, view situations differently, have different senses of humor, and their hearts are touched by very different things. One needs me to reprimand them firmly and LOUDLY, and one needs me to speak softly and calmly so as not to send "her" into an emotional meltdown. One needs the schedule for the next week of what we'll be having for dinner, and one forgets to actually eat because she's playing...until its bed time of course. One needs to know what we're doing 6 months from now, and one never seems to know whats happening in that very minute. Different. Every one of them. All created in God's image, all showing off different aspects of God's heart.

They do however, all have one thing in common. They're all being raised in the same house by the same parents; they're Morrows. All these kids, with all these different personality types need to be raised so as to learn to flourish in their uniqueness. I find that a fascinating role with great responsibility; as a woman, a mom, a follower of Jesus. I want my kids to enter adulthood with the wind at their back and sprinting towards their future. That takes EFFORT on my part and on their dad's part.

We do "check ins" with one another in the evenings when the little ones have gone to bed. We go for evening walks where we not only touch base as a team/couple, but we strategize, share what we see in the kids that we need to work on a little, share what (or whom!) we're struggling with, and then pray for our kids and for one another. When we walk back through that door, we are a united team going back into "the game" with our plan for that day, week, and sometimes just to get us through the next hour. LOL Hey - with teenagers, sometimes its an hour to hour basis. :)

I'm not saying we have it all down, and that we do it perfectly. NOT BY A LONG SHOT. There are some days when I dont feel I've done it well at all, but I never give up trying. There are days I feel like I had no patience, and kick myself that I didnt stop what I was doing to hear my quiet child tell me a funny part from Hannah Montana (the focused part of me has a HARD TIME stopping to listen to a recap of a tv show rerun - just keepin it real :) ), and days when I miss an appt. or phone conference, but God's mercies are new every morning. I ask forgiveness, receive it, and start my next day off with the intention of operating out of God's infinite grace and mercy. I love daily "second chances". :) Its what I always tell my kids: I dont have to be THE best, I just strive to be MY best.

I guess this isnt really a coaching post, but today I'm a bit introspective. My encouragement to you is that we're all human, doing our best to serve others from a place of abundance and not an empty tank. And sometimes it helps to hear that we're not the only one fighting the good fight! Not by a long shot!

I'm praying today for those who read this to be encouraged and find hope that you're not the only one who struggles with time, patience, and to keep up with the changes in our growing kids. We're in this together - and TOGETHER....we're BETTER!

Have a blessed rest of your week! From one busy parent to another!

TRACI +7

4 comments:

berrytribe said...

Traci-
It's as if you knew how needed your post was, just for me today!! So encouraging-one mommy to another.
Would love a chance to talk with you re:your adoption experience and bringing J and B home. Please give me a call or e-mail!
--shannon (alisha's other SIL :))
berrytribe@cox.net

Traci Morrow said...

Shannon, What a fun surprise to hear from you!! Twice in one week even!! :)

I did get your email, but I've been swamped trying to arrange for my kids while I'm out of town this week. I would love to connect next week when I get back from Philly!

Just email me what time of day is good for you - and day (Monday is bad for me but the rest are good) and I'll give you a call!!!

Love and a big cyber hug for what the Lord is doing within you and Brian - and your boys!! :) Thats a God-sized calling, and one that I would love to be a prayer warrior for you all throughout your process!!

xo
TRACI :)

Lori Jantzi said...

Ah! Just what I needed to hear today. Thanks, Traci! You are such a blessing to me! Luv ya girl! :)

Lisa12 said...

Traci,
I just found you when looking for a Tony Horton Camp that a friend just told me about. I don't have enough time to respond b/c I am a teacher and only have a few free minutes. Also, a mom, of two (3 and 4), I have much in common with you. A rarity in this new society we all live. I hope to chat with you more. From this post, you seem like an incredible person. I am also a Fitness, Family, and GOD fanatic...The people around me (I live in NY) don't get it, nor do they know that Jesus is our (my husband and I) BFF...My Kids & husband are my world and we "walk the walk" on a daily basis. It is very difficult to find couples that have the same values...pretty much impossible around here.